Tuesday, March 25, 2014

A time to control...


"Kids, don't try this at home! It worked for us but it's not a guarantee."  We always end the story of our romance with these words because we met and were engaged in two weeks!

I was reminded of this time in my life when this morning I asked, "When have I given up control and benefitted?"  Falling in love was one of those times.  When I was in college I participated in a class exercise.  We were to "look into our future" and see where we would be in five and ten years.  I didn't like my conclusions.  I even made a few changes in my life to try to change that future.

My word for today is control.  I have the word in my thoughts after reading Deuteronomy 15:19-23.  The Israelites are told to set apart the firstborn male of their flocks and herds to be eaten in the presence of the Lord, at the place He will choose.  The instructions show that the Israelites are to relinquish control over the firstborn males of the flocks and herds to God. 

We always call it a sacrifice.  We think that we are giving up something.  Yet, in a sense, God gives it back.  The Israelites get to eat the "sacrifice" in God's presence, with their family (see Deuteronomy 12:7).  The Israelites benefit when they give God control of their possessions.

In these verses, the Israelites are again reminded not to eat the blood.  The blood of the animals is the life.  Perhaps if they would eat the blood, the life, they would think they had control. (see Deuteronomy 12:23) 

Yet, in Life, there are so many things we cannot control even though we try very, very hard.  I know so many people who strive to control all the details of their life.  It seems like a lot of work and effort are expended to control meaningless details.  Perhaps, the modern version of Ecclesiastes 3 should include, "there is a time to control and a time to let go."

Today I am reminded not to hold onto Life so tightly.  When I give control of my life to God I don't lose, I gain more than I had.  This is a guarantee!

So when I give God control of my life, I will benefit.  In college, when I fell in love, I thought I was throwing logic out and allowing love to control my life.  In my case I really was allowing God to control the path of my life.  I didn't even know it was God at the time.

Life has turned out so much better than if I'd been in complete control. It has been an adventure, filled with thrills and surprises, but God really  has done a better job with my life and I've benefitted.

I will give God my first, my best and God will give me the best life.

No comments:

Post a Comment