Saturday, August 31, 2013

Smile


Absolutely...you call us if you need us....thanks for calling."  As I hung up the phone, I realized I was smiling.  I was in "customer service mode."  Recently I read of the importance of physically smiling when you are on the phone to put a pleasant tone in your voice.

Then I was reminded of my Bible reading that same morning.  Just for a change of pace, I had done the "surprise me" method.  I just let the Bible open wherever and started reading.  I rarely do it but I thought "everything in the Bible is relevant, let's see what I can find." 

I opened to Daniel chapter 4 verse 2. Nebuchadnezzar begins his testimony with "...it is my pleasure..."  He was excited, enthused and pleased to share about his experience with God.  In my mind, I imagined him smiling.  He was the King so he probably made sure everyone listened.

This made me think about how most of us dread that moment when we need to tell another of God's intervention, direction, blessing and/or instruction in our personal life.  Do we realize what a privilege it is to share and tell about God?

We rejoice by telling about who God is and God is doing. 

                We give thanks by telling. 

                                We join God in His work when we tell others.

So I am reminded to seize the moments and when an opportunity is given, to share what God is doing in my life, with a smile.  To smile and by giving a bit of testimony, I rejoice, I praise and I participate.

I then thought, "What would happen if I smiled when I prayed?"  Sure there are times when I need God so deeply to soothe my pain and smiling would be fake.  There are plenty of times that I may not put my best "face on" even before God and I may need to stop and smile and put a pleasant tone to my conversation with God.

At work, when the phone rings just before I pick it up to greet the caller, I take a second to adjust my attitude away from my task to be pleasant and, I guess, I put on a smile.

Tomorrow,  just before I open my heart to God in prayer, I am going to take a few seconds to adjust my attitude and to put on a smile before I converse with the One who............

 
So Smile....

Seek

Meek

Incline

Lift

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment