Thursday, August 22, 2013

Lost Coin

It was a romantic and beautiful walk through Witch's Gulch near sunset. I stopped often to take photos of the interesting rock formations
and the ferns. As we came to the waterfall and the "bath tub", I noticed coins in the water.

"What a waste" I thought.  How foolish to throw coins, especially, a large coin, here.  This was a natural environment. It's not a mall fountain where the coins will be scooped out and donated to a charity.  These were several feet down a small and treacherous stream.  It was be very dangerous to retrieve coins.  There were lots of truly lost coins. 

I thought of the parable of the Lost Coin in Luke chapter 15.  The woman loses one of her ten coins, 10% of her treasure.  She stops and searches for the one coin.  When she finds it she calls her friends and neighbors to rejoice with her that her lost treasure had been found.

Even though I doubt anyone will ever benefit from the coins in Witch's Gulch, since it would be too dangerous to retrieve,  I know that Jesus will retrieve the lost and rejoice.  No one is too far, too risky or too deep to rescue.  Jesus will search and retrieve the "valuable" that others may see as worthless.

Proverbs 3:13 reminds me to gain wisdom and understanding, they are more profitable than gold and silver.   Jesus will show me what is truly valuable and what is truly lost and will invite me to rejoice when the "lost" is found! 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment