Saturday, July 6, 2013

Life is a Salad!

Chopped romaine hearts, grilled chicken, blue cheese, peas, chopped carrots, 3 bean salad, broccoli salad, pasta salad, sunflower seeds, bacon bits and a touch of vinaigrette dressing.  That’s my idea of a tossed salad!  I love salad bars.  I’m known to put unusual items in my salad and try most anything atop lettuce. I think it’s because I can build a salad my way and not do any of the work to prepare the ingredients.  So I think I’m being healthy but maybe I’m a bit lazy at the same time.

    I noticed reading in Hebrews Chapter10, five times the writer begins a statement with “Let us”.  Being a salad girl, I thought “lettuce”!  OK so now you know my mind works on the edge of normalcy!  Anyway, in the midst of a call to persevere, the writer gives us five actions that start with “Let us”.

    I also love “to do” lists.  I made a “to do” list for those times when Life “tosses me a loop” and I need to endure. As a reminder to me I made an acronym for SALAD.

    Seek God first.  “Let us draw near to God...”  Too often when the circumstances take a turn not in our favor, we try to fix it on our own or maybe we even try to blame God.  I want to remember to first run to God and explain the situation and give Him the chance to take control of the situation.  God has given us this privilege through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ and through Jesus’ representation of us as our advocate as the writer of Hebrews reminds us at the beginning of Chapter 10.

    Adhere to Hope.  “Let us hold to hope...”  In those stressful times, I want to remember that God loves me and in spite of what the world may say or look like, I have the Hope that Jesus provided for me. 

    Love others.  “Let us spur one another to good deeds...”  When the going gets tough, I often need to take my focus off myself and focus on others.  I’ve found it helpful to put my troubles in perspective by doing a good deed or expressing my affection for someone else.

    Always be with believers.  “Let us meet together...”  Too often I see believers during stressful times avoid the fellowship of the church and believers.  The enemy tries to make us feel like the believers will be too judgmental but most often I find my church family to be encouraging and tender.

    Do encourage others.  “Let us encourage others...”  When we can be a bit open and honest with our trials or circumstances, we can help others in similar situations to remember these action steps.

So when Life happens, and gives you a “toss”, make a SALAD.  It will take the toss out of tossed salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment