Monday, July 22, 2013

OneThing


While we are on vacation, Dick and I walk together with our dog, Makena.   Actually, Dick and Makena walk together and I am a few  paces behind.  My pace is just a bit slower. 

Since I am a bit behind them I have the opportunity to observe them.  Makena looks up at Dick while she walks with him.  I assume it is so she can see which way he will go but there is a touch of worship in her eyes.

Makena prefers to walk with Dick as she is definitely his dog.  Whenever a door opens she looks for him.  She looks to him for comfort and protection.  She has one thing on her mind- her friend, Dick.  I have always said that if Makena was a woman I should be jealous.  Her heart belongs to Dick.  Her perfect day is a day spent next to his side. When he is home she follows him everywhere.

Since Dick has retired we have been reflecting on past memories.  I flipped through some old files and found a message I'd given in Montana in 1996.  As an illustration I had  used the old cowboy's advice in the movie "City Slickers."  His secret for success in life was to find your "one thing" and pursue it as your passion.  In Philippians 3, Paul gives a similar admonition:  "one thing I do...press on  toward the goal...for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." (definitely my paraphrase!)

Our one thing in life to pursue must be Jesus.   As Makena looks up to Dick for direction, she looks for Dick  to spent time with, and she looks to Dick protection, we should do the same in our relationship with God.

We should look up to God to direction and affection,

We should look for God at work around us, and

We should look to God for protection and comfort.

Look up...

Look for...

Look to...

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this encouragement as we start a new day and a new week Jan! Glad you had a wonderful vacation, hope it was very relaxing!

    ReplyDelete