Thursday, July 25, 2013

Relief


I was driving home in southern Iowa the other day in a torrential rain storm.  The windshield wipers were on the highest setting but I kept trying to turn them up.  The rain was so heavy I wanted to pull over to the shoulder.  Visibility was so bad that if someone followed tail lights they might hit me along the side of the road. So I kept slowly driving.

I came over a small rise and saw 40 cars pulled over and I was so relieved.  It was the relief you feel in the safety of numbers!  So I pulled over and breathed deeply.

The sense of relief at the sight of others doing want I so desperately wanted to do made me think of the church.

In a community of believers we learn from others' failures and victories.  We gather together for safety.  There is comfort in distress.  We are not alone.

In second Corinthians chapter one verse four, Paul reminds me that God comforts me so I can comfort others. 

When the "going gets tough"  I go to church. It's not to find God because God has never left me.  He was definitely with me during the torrential downpour.   I go for blessing of comfort, safety and relief of others like me. I learn from others and hopefully encourage others. In Hebrews chapter ten verse twenty-five, I am reminded to encourage others

I could certainly get tough and go with just God but why?  Why miss the additional blessing God has provided when He gathers  the believers together to share comfort and encouragement.

When the going gets tough, go to God and church.   

No comments:

Post a Comment