Sunday, June 18, 2023

Put On Influence



 

I had the privilege this past week to write the obituary for my Daddy.  It was very therapeutic.  I was impressed by how his character influenced my development.  I described him as a character who had character.  He was a fun guy, a great storyteller and up for adventure.  

 

Upon my review of the first draft. I realized I’d tallied what he did, his accomplishments, but hadn’t listed who he was, his character.  He taught me about integrity, loyalty and planning for the right thing.

 

He did not have a formal class or presentation.

§  Dad always had a plan yet was open to spontaneity.  

§  Dad always wanted the best for his loved ones.  

§  Dad sacrificed for his loved ones.

 

My brother and I learned through the osmosis of family life with Dad.  Occasionally, he would announce a new word to learn or lesson from his life but most often, he just was himself.

 

What must it have been like to with be Jesus in the flesh?  

 

In my reminiscing, it occurred to me that Jesus taught the original disciples in a similar method.  Sure, He had sermons, teachings and explanations. He sacrificed Himself for us, His loved ones. But on a daily basis He was just Himself.  Himself being God Incarnate!

 

Jesus modeled for the disciples love for God, for others and for themselves. Jesus’s earthly life demonstrated forgiveness and God-given purpose. Jesus came 

§  to fulfill prophecy

§  to demonstrate God’s love for us

§  to die for our failures.

 

Life is about influence.  Today influence is usually all about social media. Yet the average person influences 80,000 people in a lifetime (average life expectancy is 78 years). Some of this influencing is done as a child so it’s not all on social media, even today.

 

80,000 people.  That’s about the capacity of GEHA Arrowhead Stadium—the loudest stadium, during a Kansas City Chiefs football game!

 

Influence can be negative or positive.  I have been challenged to take care to influence in a positive manner, expressing my appreciation for someone’ service (even when it’s their job), being polite in the most insignificant circumstances and being positive and leading with compassion.

 

Jesus called us to be and make disciples.  (Matthew 28: 19-20) How we influence will be crucial to living our God-given purpose.  To live out our purpose we should

§  walk the talk 

§  seize the teachable moments as the Spirit leads

§  love others as Jesus has loved us.

 

Let’s engage:

·      It made me smile when my son expressed compassion in a way that was my Dad’s way.  Daddy’s influence.  When have you reflected the influence of your mentor in a positive manner?

·      When you get dressed in the morning, what do you want to “put on” to guide your influencing for the day?  See Colossians 3: 12-17.

·      Consider how you influence those you encounter.  How do you want to be remembered?

·      One of my favorite memories of Daddio was the subject of one of my earlier blogs.  Here’s the link: “Leadership begins with the nearest and dearest”, 

 

https://sunsetjan.blogspot.com/2020/03/leadership-begins-with-nearest-and.html

 

2 comments:

  1. 80,000 people! That is a lot of influence. I pray that I have been a positive influence in people’s lives. I pray God gives me the grace and love to continue to be a positive influence for Him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, yours words are filled with wisdom. ❤️

    ReplyDelete