Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Leadership begins with nearest and dearest

“namely, a man of unquestionable integrity, the husband of one wife, having children who believe, not accused of being immoral or rebellious.”
‭‭Titus‬ ‭1:6‬ ‭AMP‬‬
https://www.bible.com/1588/tit.1.6.amp


My Dad was MacGyver before there was a MacGyver! My favorite childhood memory begins just before noon somewhere in Northern Missouri.  The family was heading toward our first camping trip.

My parents' friends had trailers and went camping together.  We were not professional campers.  My brother and I had scout camp experience but the camping for enjoyment craze had not captured our family.

My dad had found a "10 man" tent used at a garage sale  This particular weekend was its debut.  Unfortunately half way to the destination Dad realized he'd forgotten to pack the tent poles.  He made a quick choice and pulled the car off the highway into the nearest small town hardware store.  He apparently had a shopping list in his head.  We left the store with planks roped to the top of the car.  Yet I recall that he and I traveled the remaining miles with our windows down and left arms up holding the wood to assure it never left  the top of the car.

Upon arrival, Dad was quite particular in the location of our tent site.  He used trees to tie up the tent to supplement the make sift tent poles.   I don't remember being embarrassed as most  teenagers would.  I realized that our tent site was now everyone's destination to marvel.  The entire weekend was a steady stream of drive bys.  People pointing in amazement as word spread through the campground.

Surprisingly, this was not our last camping experience. We had more adventures which included a Kool (cigarette) sailboat, skunks and trash bag clothing.  Apparently we would follow our leader,Dad, anywhere.

The sixth verse of Titus reminded me of three elements of leadership:  integrity, commitment and influence.  Paul gave Titus instructions to appoint leaders and these were just three of the qualities.

I learned them first from my dad and observing his career.  I don't remember him saying the words but my dad worked to do what was right.  My dad was committed first to his family.  He turned down promotions that meant the family would relocate once my brother and I were in school.(We moved 9 times before I was in the second grade but never after.)   He influences my decision making,   I don't seek his approval but I do crave his wisdom.

As  followers of Jesus, let's lead others to Jesus with integrity, commitment and influence.  Our lives may not be perfect but hopefully others will "drive by" and be amazed. We may forget the tent poles but Jesus will make our lives amazing!.

1 comment:

  1. What a nice tribute to your dad. I remember going camping with you guys. It was a great experience. LD

    ReplyDelete