Sunday, February 9, 2020

Imitating Just One Reaches So Many

“And you became imitators of us and of the Lord, for you received the word in much affliction, with the joy of the Holy Spirit,”
‭‭1 Thessalonians‬ ‭1:6‬ ‭ESV‬‬
https://www.bible.com/59/1th.1.6.esv



My friend changed his address but I'll not be able to forward snail mail.  He changed his address to Heaven!

I met Buck over 25 years ago.   After our first encounter, I made this mental note: "When I'm old I  want to be like Buck."  Buck was well seasoned then. Society might have labelled him old because of the color of his hair.

Buck ignored society's judgments.  Buck was on a mission, a mission to influence the younger generations.  He mentored kids in the school system.  He was a small group leader in the church high school ministry.  He listened to young people.  I mean he intensely focused his listening. He passionately believed in the worth of each and every kid he encountered.

Buck taught me a valuable lesson in making a difference.  He wore a starfish on his sweater when we met.  It seemed a strange fashion choice.  We talked for a mere handful of minutes before he volunteered his explanation.

Thousands of starfish had washed up on a beach.  For whatever reason the starfish ended on the beach,it meant the end of their life apart from the sea.  A man was throwing starfish back into the ocean, one at a time.  An onlooker tried to point out the folly of this rescue of a fraction of the doomed starfish through  one man's throwing capacity.

As Buck told the parable he looked at me with his penetrating eyes and then looked at his own hand.  "It will make a difference to this starfish!"

Buck knew that every single kid mattered to God and he was determined to assure every single kid of their value and worth to God.


Going to the beach reminds me of Buck, starfish and making a difference. The volume of Life's problems rob us of the desire to help.  Life seems futile.  The needs are overwhelmingly great.  Buck taught me to reach out to just one at a time. It will make a difference to this one.  Buck was just one man but he influenced hundreds of young people during his earthly life, one starfish at a time.
Thanks Buck for challenging me to make a difference to those who happen upon the "beach" I walk.   I'm not responsible for all, just help one "starfish" at a time.

When I become well seasoned, I want to be like Buck.

B e
U nwavering in
C ommitment to
K ids

No comments:

Post a Comment