Friday, July 24, 2015

Turn and tune

"I didn't know you could do that."  I often get this comment when I've spoken to a large group.  "I heard you nailed your practice presentation."  My manager commented many years ago after my sales presentation.  I'm basically a quiet and shy person so when I'm not, people are surprised.  I've learned to "turn off" the shyness sometimes.

In Mark 2:6-12, Jesus definitely "turns it on".  Right after He told a paralyzed man his sins were forgiven,  He knew the teachers of the law were thinking He was blaspheming.  Only God alone can forgive sin. 

The teachers of the law were not "tuned in".  Why weren't they surprised that Jesus knew what they were thinking?  Why do we think we can hide our thoughts from the all-knowing God?

Jesus took this opportunity to reveal His mission and Himself.  He knew what they were thinking and He explained what and why He did.  He asked them, "Why were they thinking those things?  Which is easier to say to the paralytic your sins are forgiven or Get up, take your mat and walk?"  Before they had time to think or discuss  Jesus showed them His power and authority.  He said to the paralytic, "Get up,  take your mat and walk."  In full view of all, the man did so.

The teachers of the law were amazed and praised God because they had never seen anything like this.  But were they "tuned in" to the Who, What and Why of Jesus?  Perhaps it was time to "turn off" the discussions of rules and "tune in" to God.  In hindsight I can see that Jesus pointed out to  them that only God can forgive sin,  He had just forgiven a man's sin, therefore He was God.  Jesus came to make plain to us what God does, He forgives sin and He heals us.  He does all this because He is full of compassion and love for us.


We can be amazed at things that surprise and impress us.  When God does amazing things around us and for us, it's time to  "turn off" the discussion of 'how come' and "tune in" to Who,  What and Why.  He is all-knowing.  He came to Earth to make His love and compassion plain to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment