Thursday, July 9, 2015

Not Insignificant

"Please, Mom."  The boy asked for an expensive item.  I knew it was a risk.  It might be lost or stolen.  It was very nice.  When I said yes, the sales clerk whispered, "You must love the boy very much."

In Mark 1:40-45 a man with leprosy approaches Jesus and begs for a very expensive gift. He asked that if Jesus was willing to make him clean of leprosy.  Jesus was filled with compassion and touched the man and the man was cured.

Jesus then instructed the man, with a strong warning, not to tell anyone and to show himself to the priest and offer the proper sacrifice as a testimony.  Instead the man spread the news.  (Who wouldn't?  He'd been given a great gift-his health, a normal life, restored to the community.)

As a result of this man's exuberance, Jesus experienced consequences.  He could no longer enter a town openly but stayed in lonely places.  Yet people still came to Him from everywhere.
Today I am struck with Jesus' love and compassion.  I believe that Jesus was and is "all knowing."  He knew before He healed the leper that it would cost Him.  He knew the course of His ministry would change but He was "filled with compassion" and gave to one insignificant man anyway.

A few months later I learned that my expensive purchase was lost. I had a premonition that it might happen.  Those types of things happen to boys.  Yet I loved that particular boy  and I wanted to give to him.  He had regret and remorse.  He understood the consequence.  A couple of years later, when we replaced the item, he also knew we loved him, very, very much.  The look on his face and his comment of  "you guys are the best" was and still is Priceless.  I know I'd do it again and again.

I am reminded that I, too, am just an insignificant one in the midst of the multitudes but Jesus loves me, too.  Even when I don't follow His instructions.  Even when He tells me why.  Jesus has loved me anyway, does love me in spite of me and will love me in spite of my future failings.  So I am not insignificant in His eyes.  WOW!

I don't express my appreciation for Jesus' very expensive gift often enough or deeply enough.  He  has given me a great earthly life, in spite of my efforts to alter it.  Jesus also provided my eternal life in Heaven, not because I have earned or deserved it.  Why?  Because He was and is  filled with compassion for me, and lots and lots of other people. 


Grace.  God's Riches At Christ's  Expense.

No comments:

Post a Comment