Sunday, June 15, 2014

The less complicated life


My first day on the job the "cardinal" rule was explained to me.  It was in regard to handling of a particular document that would be my responsibility.  The word "never" was used.  We have  a set of procedures and there were some actions that were never to occur.  The reason for "never" was to protect  the integrity of the document.  Since that day I have adhered to the "never" and I have impressed upon anyone who works with me, this cardinal rule, the one never to break.

I thought about our human tendency to break rules to obtain the fleshly desires of our heart when I read Deuteronomy 21: 15-17.  God gives instructions for the situation of a man who has two wives.  He loves one but not the other.  Unfortunately his firstborn son is the child of the unloved wife and God knows that this man will want to follow his heart and give the other child, the son of his beloved wife, the rights of the firstborn.

It seems too prevalent in the world that we are encouraged and taught to follow what we want, not what is right.  We always want to be first, preferred, double blessed, so we bend rules to justify getting what we want. What we want may not always be what is right.

My puppy Molly is learning what it is like to be number 3.  She wants to be number 1.  She will bark, grab, ignore, beg and now that she has had a limp, use sympathy to get what she wants.  The limp will appear occasionally now when begging, barking and grabbing hasn't worked!  Yet Makena is the oldest dog and I am the pack leader on the other end of the leash.  (OK Dick is the real pack leader but I'm holding the end of the leash.)

As I look ahead in the coming verses in Deuteronomy, I might subtitle them as " You will make your life complicated, here's some advice ..."  My first lesson to learn from the man in today's verses would be stick to one wife.  Today's verses will go under the point, "Stick to the rules."  I know I need a Savior because I have learned that I often have a hard time following the rules I make up myself.

I thought of the words in Proverbs 3 "lean not on your own understanding".  My own understanding would be what my flesh wants and how I can make that happen.  If I want something the world will tell me to beg, bark, grab or guilt to get it.  When I went to Proverbs to read that chapter, I noted it was a father giving advice to his son.  The advice was to stick to God's commands.  God's ways will make life's ways straight.  Our desires too often make for a complicated life.

Today I am reminded that I must stick to God's ways and perhaps say "never" to my fleshly desires.  If I live with integrity my life will be less complicated.

I also noted that I write this on Father's Day.  I thank God that He is the example of integrity in my life.  God has stuck with me throughout all the complications and curves of my life journey.  He still loves me and continues to point out that His way is less complicated. Yet I, also,  see examples of integrity  in the men in my life, my dad, my husband and my son.  Thanks, guys, for sticking to the rules!

No comments:

Post a Comment