Monday, June 2, 2014

Leave it


"Leave it"  My most frequent command to the puppies on the Monday morning walk.  Most people mow their lawns on the weekend.  Clumps of cut and fermenting grass will be plentiful on the curbs and edges of lawns.  It is like chocolate to the puppies.  They strain at the leash to grasp a clump and swallow it.

I give the "leave it" command and a little jerk on the leash to remind them of the forbiddenness of these clumps.  I know the consequences of their consumption.  The clumps can make them ill.  I've cleaned up the evidence.  The clumps cause discord between the two pups.  Whatever Mickey has, Molly wants and usually gets.  And I find it distracts them from our goal, an energy-depleting walk. (And I find it jut plain gross!)

"Leave it" will be my topic heading for Deuteronomy 20:10-20.  God gives the Israelites instructions for attacking cities.  In their near future they will be attacking cities to conquer the Promised Land and in their future future there will be cities at their borders that will need to be subdued.  God gives instructions for the plunder, the inhabitants and the trees.

The verse that is impressed upon me is verse 18.  God lists the enemies they must completely destroy.  He even tells them why:  they will teach the Israelites their detestable ways and the Israelites will sin and worship their gods.

Have you  noticed the same defect in yourself and others that I notice in the puppies?  That which is forbidden is so attractive.  If God says "leave it" we still strain to make it ours.

These verses remind me that if God has condemned it for me, I need to leave it.  He has told me it could be harmful to me or others, it will cause discord and/or it will lead me away from Him.

Thank you God that you know my immediate future as well as my future future.  You love me and give me commands that are for my best.  Your plan for me is to avoid harm to myself and others, to live in peace with others and to worship God alone.

My response to your commands should be to strain away from the detestable and strain toward You.

No comments:

Post a Comment