Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Prepared for the future


"Exactly right!"  I had figured a payoff of a mortgage and called the lender to confirm the amount.  After I hung up I "flashed back" to over 30 years ago to the job  that taught me the skill.  I was glad that the job so long ago prepared me for the job I have today.

When I read verses 10-14 in Deuteronomy 21 my first thought was "Oh no, my streak is over.  What can these verses possibly teach me?"  God gives the Israelites the proper behavior for taking a captive woman during war.  I thought about ignoring it and skipping but being an occasional legalistic I decided to ponder the verses.

These verses remind me that God knew the future.  He knew some of the Israelites would get themselves into  the situation described.  They might be attracted to one of the women taken captive during the wars.  They might choose to take her as a wife and they  might even  lose interest in her.  So God gave the instructions ahead of time so the Israelites would behave appropriately.

So God must know my future.  He knows that my emotional desire will get me into situations and He gives me instructions on my behavior in the situations I have created.  God didn't tell the Israelites to take these women into their homes and hearts but He knew they would.

So when I get myself into these situations I can't blame God or try to believe He planned it.  I can ask God how to handle it.  Hopefully, if I look back over my life, He has equipped me to deal with the situation.  Today I am reminded that the Bible has given me some advice for my behavior.

I am comforted that God knows my future and loves me anyway. There will be times when my heart leads me, rather than logic and His Will.  These times may not turn out as I thought and I may be mired in a predicament.  These verses tell me how to handle the consequences of my decision.

Honor my commitment.  I may not want to but I have responsibility for creating the situation.  I will ask God how I should fulfill the commitments I have created.

Respect the parties affected.  In the situation I have created, it is not all about me.  Other people are affected.  I will ask God how to be respectful to those involved.

Have compassion on myself and those involved.  These verses remind me that God knows exactly who and what I am.  So He knows I will get entangled in my own desires.  He loves me anyway and has compassion on me, so I will remember to have compassion on others and myself.

Finally I ask myself "Why these verses are still important today?"  My conclusion for today:  It's about reputation, God's and mine.  God reminded the Israelites that how they handle such situations will be a stark contrast to the evil in the nations Israel will conquer.  Their behavior will reflect on the ONE True God.

My behavior, even in the situations I choose, ultimately reflects on God and His reputation.  My first goal is to choose wisely but when I miss that mark I choose to respond with honor, respect and compassion.

No comments:

Post a Comment