Monday, June 17, 2013

Silent Running

I’d spent the entire day waving and smiling.  I was determined not to speak.  My husband had threatened a “lock down” of sorts for the weekend.  I’d had laryngitis for two weeks.  No voice at all and he was getting tired of reading my lips. 

I was determined to avoid the cancellation of all weekend festivities.  We had a date playing cards.  I had a quilt event!  I needed to get better fast!  With fun planned, I didn’t want to miss a thing.  So I turned on the will power and kept my mouth shut for most of two days!

During that silent spell, it did dawn on me that perhaps my prayer life should include some silent time.  Maybe I’d hear more from God if I silently listened before my lists, needs and concerns.  I need to muster some willpower and listen to God, first.

If you think about being still before the Lord, you probably think about Psalm 46.  Verse 10 is pretty explicit: Be still and know that I am God.

So I’ll know God if I’m still.  If I pay attention and just like in school, that means be quiet, I’ll know God more.

The verses which precede verse 10 remind me that God is in control, in control of the earth and all the natural elements, all of the nations and all of the disagreements of people.  God is in control and He is greater than all.  He will be exalted before the earth and the nations.

My job is to know God, not protect myself.  Let the God is in control of the earth and nations take care of me.  I don’t need to prattle on and on to Him about what I need and what He needs to do.  I need to know Him.

It’s a matter of trust.  Do I trust God enough to be quiet and learn from Him?  To let Him guide and protect me?

Be
    S urrender!
    T rouble is No Trouble to God!
    I am to know, that’s my job!  The   
    Lord Almighty
    Loves me enough to protect me.

By the way, just like being still before God will work, because the Bible tells me so, my two days of silence worked.  I started to get a voice after those two days!


No comments:

Post a Comment