Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Those other people


I listened for quite a while as she detailed how her husband failed as a person.   She had an extensive list and after a while I was beginning to believe her, that fellow was scum. Then I heard the Lord say to me, "You know I love him, too."

I realized it was not all about me.  God does not love only me.  He loves those people that I am not fond!   He loves different people, strange people, other people.

I had been asked, as the pastor's wife, for some advise, some counsel, some prayer. I don't think she appreciated the advise that I gave, especially when I told her, "you know, God loves him too."  I think it kind of made her mad.

We are like that too.  We have the childish view that we are the only ones God should love.  I was reminded of this when I read Deuteronomy 2:9-12 this morning.  (Yes, the puppies were waiting in the chair.)

Moses gives a geography lesson.  He first makes it clear that there will be no provoking of the Moabites.  He gave the land called to Lot's descendants.  He explains the Emites used to live there.  They were strong, numerous and tall like the Anakites.  The Horites used to live in Seir but Esau's descendants drove them out.  They drove out the Horites and took possession of the land just as the Israelites did in the land God gave as their possession.

My initial thought was this was some boring information Moses is passing along. However,He was explaining to whom He had given land.

 From these verses I learned:

God knows

God cares

God is in control

With the description Moses gave of the peoples and history of the land, it is obvious that God knows what is going on.  I should be reassured by this in those times when I wonder if God knows my situation.  If He knew about the peoples and land the Israelites passed by, He knows my situation.

God cared about those people.  He had made commitments to Lot and Esau.  He explained this to the Israelites and expected them to honor His commitments.  He didn't explain the reason. Or maybe He did.  He made a commitment.  He is faithful.  Therefore, the promise is kept.  This shows me God cares.  He faithfully cared for those people. (And those people were different and strange to the Israelites.) He will and does care for me.

God is in control.  He managed to allot the people of that day, in all their differences, into their own lands.  If I allow God to manage my life, "my land", I will have security.  God will protect me.  I will not need to defend my "land".   God has given me my "land."  I need to possess my "land" and not try to take others.

Rather than judge why God loves those other people, I should marvel that He does love those other people.  Someone today will think I'm one of those other strange people.  Good News, God loves them and He loves me too!

I may be "chosen" by God's loving grace, like the Israelites were chosen but I'm not the only one loved by God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment