Thursday, October 31, 2013

Prelude


 I'll admit that I've looked ahead a bit in Deuteronomy.  The Ten Commandments are coming.  I'm already concerned about what the next chapter will say to me.

Yet this morning it occurred to me that verses 32-40 in chapter 4 are part of the introduction, the prelude, to The Commandments.  I noticed a new set of ABCs.

A - Ask.  God tells the Israelites to ask if they had ever seen or heard of a god who did the great things they and their forefathers had seen.  Had another god taken for itself another nation out of a nation by testings, miraculous signs and wonders, wars, an outstretched arm or great and awesome deeds?  They saw these things so they would know there is no other God.

B- Because He loved.  God loved the forefathers and carried His Love and promise on to their descendants.  By His Presence they were delivered from Egypt and given the Promised Land.  He reminded them to take this love to heart and acknowledge there is no other God.

C- Commands that are lived will bring a good, long life for them and their children.

Following the upcoming commands are based on the belief that there is NO other God.  There is no OTHER God.  There is no other GOD!

There is no other God who gives His love to those who are so undeserving.  I've  read the rest of The Book and I know the Israelites will stray.  Yet God continued to love them.  There is no other God who would love them still.

I have lived enough life to know that I have strayed yet God still loves me.  There is no other God that would still love me.

Today, again, I

Acknowledge that there is no other God for me;

Because He loves me in spite of my failings; and I

Choose to follow His commands so I will have the life He promised.

No comments:

Post a Comment