Tuesday, October 22, 2013

(God cares)


In a seminar on  grammar once, I was given the hint that using a comma was like taking a breath and using a parenthesis was like whispering.   Yet the last two days reading Deuteronomy, the parenthetical thoughts have hollered at me.

In chapter 3, verses 18-20, Moses gave the tribes who have possession of the land on this side of the Jordan River orders.  They were to send all able-bodied men, ready for battle, across the Jordan with the rest of the Israelites to assist them in conquering the remainder of the Promised Land.  God told them, "You are not done until we are all done." (That would be from the Jan Sipe translation.)

God knows we have earthly attachments and responsibilities that would distract us from following His commands.  He has plans to care for those attachments.  We cannot use them as an excuse to disobey His commands.

When Moses explains that the able-bodied men are to go, he adds women, children and livestock are to stay in the towns He had given.  God had already provided ready-made towns and homes for the families of the fighting men.  And to emphasize His care and provision, He included the parenthetical thought, "I know you have much livestock."  In my translation, "Don't be using the size of your herd as an excuse."

God had provided towns, land and an environment with no enemies- they had completely destroyed the previous occupants.  The families were safe and provided.

I had to think, "What accomplishments have I missed because I let earthly entanglements prevent me from following God?"

Just a couple of weeks ago, I had a moment of decision.  My first visit to my husband's new ministry was scheduled.  The puppies needed someone to care for them.  A friend has a pet sitting business.  I made the arrangements with her.  On the day of the departure as I delivered them, I found myself feeling like the new mother leaving her newborn for the very first time.  I decided to leave quickly before I teared up.

I should have felt relief for a break.  They are a handful, actually two handfuls.  Yet they are a joy to see first thing in the morning. (It's later when the naughty puppies show up.) They are cuddly and affectionate and make me accountable to do my daily time.  I think they call it, "chair time."  This morning I had to tell them enough kissing!

The puppies had a great time  at their adventure and so did I.  I needed to see, hear and experience the new location of ministry.  I'm so glad I did not miss the adventure.

 Today's verses reminded me that God will take care of my attachments.  God cares about what I care about and God is able to care for what I care for.

No comments:

Post a Comment