Monday, October 7, 2013

Details


I had a baking project that I was too tired for last night. This morning  I got it ready and in the oven before I sat down for my study time. While I was in the kitchen, the puppies were terrorizing the dishwasher, the trash and each other.  I had the baking in the oven and realized the puppies were quiet. 

I thought, Oh no, now what are they up to?  I came to the big chair where every  morning we sit and do my study, usually first thing.  They were both expectantly looking at me!  It's time.  Thanks, my little accountability partners. 

Actually they just wanted to chew on my coat, the ribbon in my Bible and my pen. Yet the message was clear to me after I read one verse.  Familiarity is in the details.

I started on Deuteronomy 2:8.  Moses is continuing the travel log of the Israelite journey.  I noticed how descriptive he was.  He mentioned details that were meaningless to me yet were important to the listeners in front of Moses.  Often when I'm rewriting the scripture in my journal I skip some of the details if they seem insignificant to me.

He reminded them that the descendants of Esau were brothers, the Arabah road went from Elath to Ezion Geber and they traveled the desert road.  He included such details for his listeners so they could relate to the journey.  Some of them were not old enough to remember, some needed the detail to refresh their memory.

This made me think about details.  Sometimes details, though insignificant to some, give me comfort.  The detail will remind me of where I've been and that I've made it this far.

Some details give me a connection, a reminder that I've had a similar experience.

Some details give me courage, a sense of accomplishment, victory, we've made it!

Familiarity is in the details.  God gave lots of detail in the Bible soI can relate.  Some give me comfort,  some will help  me connect and others will give me courage.

Today I'm going to pay attention to more details.

No comments:

Post a Comment