Thursday, October 10, 2013

Memorize this one


 
"How can this be? said Nicodemus." "How CAN this be? said Nicodemus."  "How can this BE? said Nicodemus." John 3:9

It was Wednesday night dinner at church.  The littlest diner at the table was discouraged.  There was a Bible verse memory contest and she didn't think she could memorize enough verses to win. She was about five years old, had short blond hair, big eyes and  tagged along with her older brother and his friends. So the competitive adults searched out every single short verse and coached her.  She was so serious that we even taught  her emphasis and inflection.  We thought the dramatic interpretation of the verse would gain her extra points.  She was so cute when she said, "How can this be? said Nicodemus."

The amazing thing that after all these years, probably more than 20, that verse comes to my mind when I wonder, "how can this be?"  What a testimony for memorizing verses, enough the littlest ones.

Deuteronomy 2:17 will be the next little verse I memorize.  "the Lord said to me"   That's it. It's not punctuated as its own sentence.  It's in the middle of one really long sentence. I know the verse markings and the punctuation were added by humans years later. 

There probably is not anything divinely inspired in this verse marking or punctuation but it did speak to me today. I got excited. 

THE Lord said to me.  The Lord SAID to me.  The Lord said TO ME.

In those five words:

I remember who is Lord.

I remember God does speak. 

I remember that God does speak to me, even me.

It's amazing. How can this be?
 
 
 
Here's a photo of my accountability partners! Mickey on the left and Molly on the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment