Saturday, October 5, 2013

Resolve Again

I hate to make mistakes. It always makes me realize how imperfect I am.  After I realize the error of my way, I have a choice to ignore learning from my error or to move ahead with another new resolve to do right.

In Deuteronomy 2, the Israelites had the same choice.  They had made a blunder of epic proportions.  First they refused to follow God's instructions to take hill country.  Then they decided to take the land when God specifically told them not to go and that they would be defeated.  They refused to listen and went anyway.  God was right. They were swarmed. Verse 1:44 says the Amorites came at the Israelites "like a swarm of bees."

(Swarmed is the word I use to describe the two puppies when the treat bag comes out.  All sense and obedience leaves their brains and they are overcome with gaining the treats.  I'm overwhelmed with jumping and clawing!  Needless to say, that reward system is ineffective.) 

Moses continues the history lesson in Chapter two with "Then we turned back and set out..."  The Israelites tried to not learn from their mistake  by attacking the Amorites when God clearly send "Don't go."  Now they were resolving to continue the journey with God.

In verse 7 of chapter 2, Moses has a brief commentary in the midst of retelling history.  It seems to be a "sidebar" much like my comment on swarmed.  He  reminds the Israelites that God has been blessing them, watching over them and providing for them.  It feels like history class, when the teacher starts a discussion on what should we learn from this past event.

Moses tells us that if we learn from our errors and resolve to follow God, we too will be blessed by God, be watched over and provided.

This made me think of Mickey and Molly.  Just when I think I have trained a behavior, one of them reminds me, they are puppies.  I will need to again reinforce the correct behavior.  Even though they have disobeyed me and failed to learn, I still watch over them and provide for them. 

I need to untangle them again. They are whimpering for my help in the backyard!  When they get stuck I'm the one to save them. 

I'm glad God is more loving than I.  I make bigger errors than the puppies.  Deuteronomy reminds me that when I turn to him after my error and set out again on His journey, He will bless me, watch over me and provide for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment