Sunday, October 3, 2021

What Do I Know?

"because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance." James1:3 NIV I circled "you know" when I read this verse. Do I know? What do I know about perseverance? I'm not an athlete or an artist who practiced or trained. I'm not sure I've worked for something for a really long time.
The story behind the curious photo: I was assigned to be the photographer at the church cook-out. When the rain came, the cooks stayed with the fire. I got in the car. Who persevered through the circumstances, me or the cooks? How do I know? I usually check The Message for a fresh perspective. “Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides. You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors. So don’t try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way.”‭‭ James‬ ‭1:2-4‬ ‭MSG‬‬ (Bold added by me.) I made a decision when I was 22 years old that I wanted God on my life journey. I remember standing in the baptismal water thinking "it's you and me God". Looking back, I can't imagine facing life without God. Perhaps my faith journey is the closest I've tried to endure. Over 30 years ago, I had a diagnosis of a serious disease. Amazingly, I only experienced a few of the symptoms and some even disappeared. Then 19 years ago I heard the dreaded "C" word- cancer. There were a few centimeters hiding behind golf ball sized scar tissue. A radiologist being diligent saved my life. Then again I've heard a life changing diagnosis. I continue to get good reports of a well managed challenge. I like to think God has kept my life health challenges on the small side so I can learn more about trust or perseverance. How can I be sure God is with me in those life challenges? Past experience. I judge on past actions and life choices. God is consistent so I can put my trust in His plan and His promise to never leave me alone. I need to hang with God and not try it on my own. My quick trip into my favorite reference, Strong's Concordance, gave me a bit of insight into the word "know". More than one of the definitions listed helped me. "Be sure." "Be Resolved." I conclude that I do know God has "my back" in my life on Earth. Maybe perseverance is repeating it over and over as a reminder, as an anchor for my journey. I am resolved and sure due to past experience which will carry me through my future. To be resolved is my choice to depend on God rather than risk following my inadequate planning. Let's Engage: What jumps off the page for you? Think of 3 times God has had your back? Take time to thank Him. Jot down a few words of praise for your bulletin board. What have you learned about perseverance from a life challenge?

No comments:

Post a Comment