Monday, June 24, 2019

We need one more word-yet

“Gomer conceived again and gave birth to a daughter. Then the Lord said to Hosea, “Call her Lo-Ruhamah (which means “not loved”), for I will no longer show love to Israel, that I should at all forgive them.”
‭‭Hosea‬ ‭1:6‬ ‭NIV‬‬
https://www.bible.com/111/hos.1.6.niv

I'm determined to continue my journey of the 6th verse of all 66 books of the Bible.  I believe inspiration for daily life will be found in each one.  Sometimes  I need to stretch my rule and consider context of that sixth verse.  Today I needed just one more word.

Hosea was a prophet who lived through many years of history.  He lived during the time of several kings, good and bad.   The Lord directed him to marry a woman, Gomer, of questionable reputation. She was the mother of his children as noted in chapter one verse six.  When she was unfaithful God instructed Hosea to take her back.

Yet.  For today's "aha" moment from verse 6  I only needed one small word.  The first word of the next verse is Yet.  I'm very excited about "Yet".  Yet has bolstered my spiritual journey.  Now I want to live in the world of Yet.


This cute little dog doesn't want to live in the world of Yet.  She hears the word often.  Her stomach is always empty.  She wants food. She coughs, scratches my leg and gives me this look several times a day.  My frequent reply:  "It's not time yet."  She doesn't like the word yet because she lives for the now.

In Hosea's world, there was a lot of bad news coming (Israel was about to lost God's love).  Yet there was good news coming (Judah would be saved).  God was "calling it quits" on Israel.  Yet He still has hope for Judah.

The dictionary taught me that Yet is a conjunction.  Further reading informed me that Yet at the beginning of a sentence introduces a contrary idea from the prior sentence. (Apparently some language gurus frown on certain conjunctions beginning sentences.) Yet joins the thoughts.

Today Yet gives me hope and optimism.  Yet looks to the future,  Yet is the land of God's power, not mine.  When I've strayed too far, yet God is waiting for me.  When I'm lost in the world of error and misunderstanding, yet God is with me.  When I'm rejected and alone, yet God is always with me.

My world may look grim.  Yet reminds me God is always with me.

Yet reminds me of "Nevertheless", a synonym and another conjunction.  Nevertheless always surprises me.  It's three separate words that are allowed to be one.  Even Spellcheck is never surprised. God is never the less.  I am the less. Yet God won't leave me as the less, He gives a future in the Yet.

Whatever reality today or tomorrow brings me, God always has Yet for you and me.


No comments:

Post a Comment