Monday, July 10, 2017

"Chalk it Up"

"You need a new coat. Go downtown."  I had just arrived at my grandmother's home for a visit and this was how she greeted me.  No glad you visited, or how was the trip, but here's what you need.  It was her way of expressing her affection.  It didn't take me long to enjoy and anticipate the greeting because it wasn't always a coat, it was also shoes or clothes.  It meant a trip to the store to be waited upon with "first class" attention and my purchases charged to her account.  It was a small town and my grandmother was well known.  I had the personal attention of the sales clerks.  She sent all her family downtown with a shopping assignment.   My role was to make my choices and then the clerks would add the items to my grandmother's charge account.

My grandmother had a reputation for generosity (she sent us to the best shops in town) and reliability (she paid her bills).  She gave me the opportunity to be trusted. I made sure I made wise choices.  She wanted me to have quality but I did not take advantage.  My grandmother trusted the sales clerks and she trusted me. I was shopping on the value of her name and reputation.  I benefited with the privilege of feeling special.  She enjoyed the "fashion show" when I returned.  It was her reward to see what I'd chosen and know she'd provided.

I thought about charging items to my grandmother's account when I read  Philemon 17-20.  Paul asked Philemon, as his comrade, to welcome Onesimus as if he were Paul and if Onesimus had any debts to charge them to Paul. (In The Message, Paul told Philemon to "chalk it up" to him.) If Philemon would agree, Paul would be refreshed in his faith in Christ.

What a new world Paul is describing?  A world where believers trust each other to accept the debts of others and accept repayment from friends of the debtor. I imagine that this world is about more than just financial debts.  Too much of our world is ruled by so-called "fairness" and "accountability".  Not that those are evil traits.  It seems that too often we worship fairness more that trust, affection and faith.  What would the world be like if we spend time building our reputation on trust, affection and faith?

How can we overcome a world founded upon mistrust, self-centeredness and self-dependence?  Only Jesus can show us the way.  Jesus, for some strange reason, loves us so much He trusts us with this crazy world.  He expects us to provide for others, to trust each other, to recognize He has provided us with the best if we would just choose to recognize it.

Jesus does greet us with "Glad you came" and "here's what you need and I will provide it".  Jesus is the ultimate in trust, reliability and generosity.  On the rare occasion when the world might think Jesus had failed, I believe it was the result of poor choices on my part or He had a bigger and better plan in motion.  I can't think of a time when I have recognized the good gifts Jesus has offered me and felt like I was second class.  I've always felt He gives his best.

Jesus gave Himself for me, and you.  In my mind, when I recognize my failures, my sins,  I believe Jesus will say "to chalk it up" to Him.  He has paid my debts as if they were His own.  Not because I earned or deserved it.  Just because He showed His affection for me, and you.

Jesus has "chalked up" my debts.  Can I do the same for someone today?  Can I refresh my heart and faith by providing for someone?  Not because of fairness but because of affection, God's affection.  Will my eyes be open to encouraging another to see God's goodness?  This new world is more than providing one another financially.  In the new world the Book of Philemon introduces it is about relationship with God and each other.

My grandmother's generosity made me feel special.  I should feel extraordinarily special and chosen since Jesus has been generous and paid the debt for my sin.  Paul's request to Philemon to "cover" Onesimus' failures was a surprise.  Onesimus didn't deserve it.  He was guilty. Yet, how refreshing! 

Paul asked on the basis of his good name and God's Name for Philemon to be generous with Onesimus. What a different world we would live if we expressed how much God loved each of us by refreshing others in His name.  God has loved and trusted me, and you, with this world and each other.  How can I use my name and His Name to proclaim His Great Love for me and other believers?

It's about love and wisdom and trust.  God loved me.  God sees value in me.  God has entrusted me with purpose.  My purpose is to love other believers, to see the value in other believers and to refresh other believers with the reminder of how special they are to the Lord.  The Book of Philemon challenges me to think less of myself and more of God and other believers.  Now that is a world changing idea!



No comments:

Post a Comment