Tuesday, July 18, 2017

The Kiss Gauntlet

I looked down the line. I had to face the gauntlet to get out of the door.  I was about 12 years old. My family was on a weekend visit to my parents' hometown.  I wouldn't be able to exit without facing the line of Loves.

My mother's mother was the 11th in a family of 12 brothers and sisters.  So I grew up with a multitude of great aunts.  When we were in town there was at least one family gathering of the Love family (for real, Love was their last name!)    Most of the great aunts had never married or had children.  So as my mother described her youth, "It was like having half a dozen mothers. They all made me eat my vegetables!"  It often felt like I had half a dozen grandmothers.

The Love sisters were an affectionate bunch with farewells.  When we announced our departure, they would line up by door and we would each receive a hug and a kiss.  Avoidance was not an option. 

As I read Psalm 2, I pondered two things, politics and kissing.  Psalm 2 begins with a challenge to the foolish rulers who think they can "outwit" God (as the Living Bible describes.).  The worldly leaders think God's way is confining and plot to break His chains.  Too often, when watching my daily quota of the news, I shake  my head and mention to the "talking heads" that I really don't care about their burning issues.  They seem to be missing the major  points and focusing on minor issues.  But I'm not a political blogger.

I'd rather consider Love and Kissing!  In the concluding verses, these kings are advised to be wise, be warned and Kiss the Son.  I liked this advice.  Smarten up people and get right with Jesus.  I'd like to give those political talking heads this same advice.

So what does it mean to Kiss the Son? I checked an online commentary by Matthew Henry.  He had a list of four kisses:
·         The kiss of agreement and reconciliation.  After a tussle with a sibling, were you told to "kiss and make up"?
·         The kiss of adoration and worship.  Apparently idol worshippers would kiss their cold stone idols.
·         The kiss of affection and sincere love.  In Luke 7:38 a woman, a prostitute, kissed Jesus' feet and bathed them with expensive perfume.
·         The kiss of allegiance and loyalty.  In I Samuel 10: 1, Samuel takes a flask of oil and anoints Saul because the Lord appointed Saul.



Perhaps this list also gives advice on following God.  In the beginning, I had to accept there was God and He was in control.  I had to confess my sin so I could be reconciled with the Creator of my world.  Since my spiritual beginning, I have thanked God for saving me from a life without purpose and meaning, for not being a cold stone God, but one who miraculously intervenes in my daily life (like yesterday, but that's for another blog).  

Today, again, I pledge my alliance to The One who delivered and continues to deliver me from a foolish life chasing temporary treasure.  The One has given me the opportunity for eternal life with Him.  Psalm 2 and kissing reminds me to give up my plots and plans, submit to the best life God has planned for me and let myself be loved.  His "gauntlet" of Love is ever-available and everlasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment