Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Today's Treasure Hunt

"No, keep walking."  Every day I fight against the powerful force of my three dogs' attraction to storm drains!  We walk past several drains on our usual route.  I prepare for the 80 pounds of combined effort to drag us all to the opening of the drain.  If I keep us walking in the middle of the street I can withstand the initial pull.  If I am not alert and let the three dogs too close to the curb, I get ready to run because their pull toward the drain is too powerful.


The curious part of this occurrence is each and every time they make it to the storm drain.  It's one sniff and done.  I'm amazed that they continue to strain for the experience when it is obviously not satisfying.  You'd think they'd learn that the anticipated reward of the storm drain will not meet their expectations.

"You will eat and not be satisfied; your stomach will still be empty.  You will store up but save nothing..."  Micah 6: 14.  Micah continues his message to the Israelites to turn from their sin of trusting in anything but the One True God.  Micah warns them that there will be consequences for their unfaithfulness.  There will be dishonesty, violence, ruin, scorn.  They will be unable to fix the situations on their own. 

The search for satisfaction in life is more powerful than the combined pull of three dogs toward a storm sewer.  There is no real satisfaction in the work of our hands.

I considered all the seasons in my life when I sought to be satisfied.  I had goals and many achieved.  Yet there was, and is, always another goal waiting because I haven't been truly satisfied.
I once had a goal to collect Beanie Babies.  I loved the feel of the soft toy in my hand.  Their cute faces made me smile.  My husband joined my passion.  What started as just the dogs and bears became a hunt for each and every Beanie.  We  had a network of collectors sharing leads.  We met in parking lots to inspect potential purchases.  We negotiated with internet providers. A friend even procured a coveted bear on an international trip.  It was great fun while it lasted.

One day I realized the craze was manipulating me. I was collecting even the ugly Beanies.  I didn't like the amphibians and psychedelic additions.  Yet I felt obliged to complete my collection.  I quit when I admitted I was  no longer satisfied.

Now I store my Beanie treasures in plastic tubs in my basement.  Soon I'll need to find new homes for them.  I love them but it's a burden to care for them. 

Micah urges the Israelites to "Listen!  The Lord is calling..." (Micah 6:9a) and to "Heed the rod and the One who appointed it." (Micah 6:9b).  He challenges them to pay attention to what is happening in their world and why.  The evil forces were prospering and their unfaithfulness to God contributed.

Listen and heed.  Pay attention and obey.  Wake up and change your course.

I don't want to be like my dogs who haven't learned from their daily unsatisfactory sniffing experience.  I want to listen to the One who leads me on my daily walk.  The One who keeps me in the middle of the road a safe distance from the unsatisfying and gently says "No, keep walking."

It  is not easy to choose the unknown experience with God over the handy, tangible, attractive "storm drains" of life.  "I watch in hope for the Lord.  I wait for God my Savior; my God will hear me."  Micah 7:7 challenges me to not trust in what I do and collect my treasures.  I will not be satisfied.  I actually will become burdened with these treasures. The only true satisfaction is in The One who is my Savior and hears me.  There is no burden in His treasure.

Today begins another treasure hunt. 
            Will I evaluate the treasure I seek by heavenly standards or worldly opinion? 
                        What will I do with the treasure once I have it? 
                                    Will it be short-lived or eternal in nature?   
                                                How will the treasure I seek satisfy?

Today's goal is a satisfactory day.  To achieve this goal I plan to collect God's treasures not what the world considers treasure.  I have no room to store worldly treasure but plenty of room for His treasures.


                                                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment