Thursday, March 16, 2017

Be The Dew

"...it's Sunday but Monday's coming..."  I heard those words during the closing prayer at my small group bible study.  My brain was alerted to an "aha" moment!  It was the opposite of the theme of a favorite famous sermon, "It's Friday but Sunday's coming".  I knew my brain lit up when I heard those words because it was the connection I needed to apply the verses in Micah I'd been wrestling for many days.

I'd read and reread Micah 5: 5b-8 many times in the past several days; made notes in the margin; trolled the internet and checked other translations.  I always came back to "Be the Dew" but what does that mean?

Prophet Micah is still delivering good news and bad news to the Israelites.  When those bullies, the Assyrians, show up, don't worry. The Shepherd-Ruler will deliver them.  "The nation of Israel will refresh the world like gentle dew or the welcome showers of rain."(The Living Bible Micah 5:7) 
In the  midst of their adversity, the Israelites were to be gentle reminders of God's provision and  protection.

Merriam  Webster's dictionary reminded me that dew is moisture condensed on the surface of cool bodies especially at night.  In botany dew is droplets produced by transpiration.

My degree in botany (yes, I do have a degree in botany but not a green thumb,  I can tell you why the plant died!) sent me to look up transpiration.  The U.S. Geological Survey web page explained:

Transpiration is the process by which moisture is carried through plants from roots to small pores on the underside of leaves, where it changes to vapor and is released to the atmosphere. Transpiration is essentially evaporation of water from plant leaves.

Studies have revealed that about 10 percent of the moisture found in the atmosphere is released by plants through transpiration. The remaining 90 percent is mainly supplied by evaporation from oceans, seas, and other bodies of water (lakes, rivers, streams).

Plants put down roots into the soil to draw water and nutrients up into the stems and leaves.

My botany degree has been an integral part of my spiritual development.  I distinctly recall the day in class  when I was amazed with how our bodies are so intricately designed to always be in balance.  I loved the day we diagrammed photosynthesis and filed it away to explain why grass is green.  Plants have roots comprised of miles and miles of surface area to probe the earth for life giving water and nutrients.  These revelations began my personal search for God to make sense of this crazy planet.

My "roots" should stretch deep  into God's love, forgiveness and future such that I will be able to share  the excess with those I encounter.   Just as plants share excess moisture with our atmosphere, so I, through a spiritual transpiration, release evidence of God's work in our world.

There's my challenge from these verses in Micah.  Put down roots in God's faithfulness and draw on His provision such that others will benefit through my experience and trust.  -  Be the dew -that reveals God's power; refresh others faith with a gentle reminder of God's amazing love .

So my friend's prayer reminded me that on Sunday I sent my roots deep through worship and study into God's love but on Monday, it's time to Be The Dew and gently refresh and remind others of God's amazing grace.

D epend
E ntirely on God
W hile here


No comments:

Post a Comment