Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Watch and Learn

"Honey, I'm in trouble you need to get me something to drink."  I realized I was about to pass out with dehydration.  We were at the Iowa State Fair. It was hot and humid.  I'd insisted on sitting in the sun at the 1:30 show assuming shade would be coming.  Stubbornly I'd refused to move.  I bought a lemonade as soon as the show ended and didn't stop leading our group from attraction to attraction.

Just as I finished dinner I knew my stubbornness would result in an unwanted consequence.  So as my husband went for fluids, I headed for a piece of the floor.  Soon a couple of restaurant employees were dispensing ice packs, cool cloths and Gatorade.  It worked.  I was renewed and finished the night with the concert.

I remembered that as I was getting ready for the day I thought "I should hydrate up before I go.  It's going to be a  hot sweaty day."  I knew I should be prepared and consciously choose not to drink extra fluids because, well, it would be inconvenient.

When I read Mark 14:32-42, I pondered how I neglect the advance effect of prayer to deal with the happenings of  life.

Jesus knew the extreme personal challenge he would soon face.  He'd led His disciples to a place to pray.  He told them to sit and watch while He prayed. He told them He was overwhelmed with sorrow. Mark summarizes His prayers. Jesus tells the Father of His faith that all things are possible, His choice would be to have the "cup" taken from Him and regardless He would do the Father's will.

Jesus came back to His disciples and found them sleeping, not once but twice.  They knew He was disappointed. Mark makes an attempt at an explanatory defense, their eyes were heavy.  They didn't know what to say to Jesus when He caught them sleeping instead of watching with Him.

Jesus told His sleepy disciples, "the spirit is willing enough but the body is weak."  I considered how often I too missed the opportunity to pray in advance of a happening.  Jesus gives us a demonstration of praying before the situation rather than after the event has unfolded.

I hate umbrellas.  It's a character flaw.  I'd rather get wet than carry the awkward thing.  Perhaps I neglect advance prayer because it's inconvenient?  Yet Jesus shows us prayer is not to inform and alert God. He already knows!  Rather prayer is time to get us in the proper attitude before the circumstance. 

Prayer gets our spirit ready for coming events.  God knows what will happen.  I'm the one who too often is unprepared. I set the table before my dinner guests arrive.  I'm prepared for the event.  So why do I  allow myself to be unprepared to face the coming crisis' of life?

Today I realize that Jesus was setting an example for the disciples and me in Gethsemane.  He knew what was about to happen so He showed us how to be prepared.  Pray it forward to get the spirit ready.

 I am to

W ith
A nticipation
T rust
C hrist in the
H appenings of Life.

So advance prayer will prepare me for the

C oming
U nplanned

P roblems of Life

No comments:

Post a Comment