Saturday, April 16, 2016

What I learned from $309

As he stepped away I peaked inside the envelope.  Immediately I thought "How did he know?"  A close friend of a close friend had approached me after church.  He explained that his wife had recently inherited some money.  They had decided to have the Lord tell them how to  use it.  The Lord had told them to give us what was in the envelope.

Inside the envelope was a check for $309, not $300 or $310 but $309--the exact amount we needed.  Dick was midway through seminary and I was the "bread winner."  We each had a couple of part time jobs.  Our budget was tight so when Dick's father passed away, the last minute plane tickets were well beyond our meager contingency plans.  We hadn't thought to ask the Lord.  I'd called my dad for another potential loan.  (Thanks, Dad, for always saying yes!)

The envelope contained the exact amount of the plane tickets!  They didn't know us well enough to know 
the destination or even if we flew; or 
I'd had my wisdom teeth pulled the day we got the call about Dick's dad; or 
I'd lost a week's income because I didn't have vacation or sick leave at my job.

There was only one way they knew the exact amount-- God told them and they listened.

This week I read Mark 9:2-13, verses describing what is commonly referred to as The Transfiguration.   Jesus takes Peter, James and John to a high mountain.  There He is transfigured and His clothes are dazzling white.  Mark emphasizes  "whiter than any bleach could bleach." (Sounds like a good advertising line for a TV commercial!)

Then Elijah and Moses appear for a chat with Jesus.  Peter has an idea and shares with Jesus that it's a good place to put up three shelters for Jesus, Elijah and Moses.  Mark parenthetically adds that Peter was so frightened he didn't know what he was saying.

At this point, a Cloud appears and envelops them.  A voice from The Cloud says:

"This is My Son,
            I Love Him,
                        Listen to Him."

Suddenly they no longer saw anyone but Jesus.  As they came down the mountain He told them not to tell what just happened until He had risen from the dead.  They wondered what that meant.  So they asked him about what the teachers of the law taught about Elijah coming first.

Listening to what Jesus said was the disciples job at this point in His life and ministry.  It must have been overwhelming confusing because Jesus was bringing a new order to their world.  The teaching of their youth and culture seemed diametrically opposed.  They asked Him questions but never seemed to understand His answers.

The Cloud gave them guidance--Listen to Him. Listen carefully. Listen for the exact details.

The Cloud's message reminded me of another miracle in my life when God provided exactly to the dollar my need, even when  I hadn't thought to ask.  Our friends listened and obeyed exactly as they'd been told by God.

Jesus surprised the disciples with a glimpse of His Glory.  One of the points of this divine experience must have been to get their attention and remind them to Listen to Him.

These verses in Mark remind  me that amazing things happen when I carefully listen to Him.  God used Ben and Myra to show me a glimpse of His Glory because they listened closely to the Lord.

God knows my needs.
God will provide for me.
God really does love me.


Shouldn't I be listening carefully to Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment