Sunday, February 21, 2016

Start Spreading The News

"A Bright Future..."
"The Glory of the best work truck"
"Information like a Hollywood insider"
"Less stress"

Mark 6:53-56 made me ponder how good news is distributed,  Word of mouth and the fleet of foot worked pretty well in Jesus' day. 

Jesus and the disciples anchored in Gennesaret and were immediately recognized.  People ran throughout the region so the sick could be carried to Jesus for healing. Wherever Jesus went, villages, towns, countryside, the sick were placed in the marketplace so they could beg Him for healing.  They merely wanted to touch the edge of His cloak because they'd heard all who touched Him were healed. 

The people of the region had heard about the healing power of Jesus.  They knew what He looked like.  They also knew of the healing success rate.  They knew all of this because they heard it from someone else.  People, then as today, spread the news and promise of a better life.

I jotted down just one cycle of TV commercials.  I was promised
            a bright future through knowledge;
            the glory of the best working truck;
            the knowledge of a Hollywood insider; and
            less stress through my furniture.

Most of what we advertise to each other, through word of mouth or the media, is the promise to feel good, to feel better, to feel the best.  The quest for the good, better and best excites us.  When we think we have the "cure all" we also "run through the region" and tell everyone.

Yet the good, the better and the best in life is a free gift that is available right in front of me. 

Jesus made me good when He gave His life for my sins--something I, nor anyone else on Earth could do.  

Jesus makes my life better by leading my life--I think I've proven that when I take the lead, I make a complicated mess of life.

Jesus has the best and brightest of future for me- an eternal home with God. 


Life can't get better than life with Jesus.  Guess I'd better put on  my track shoes and spread the word!

No comments:

Post a Comment