Monday, January 4, 2016

Shake it off

I'm a bit like one of my favorite TV characters who survives life with a personally created numbered set of rules.  My rules are not numbered or written down yet I have several that those closest to me might use as an epitaph on my headstone!

Mark 6: 7-13 reminded of my rule to "Travel light.  Pack only what you can carry."  When I was young and traveled I had a huge suitcase with multiple outfits, each with appropriate shoes, a travel iron and plenty of items I might need.  Now I rarely check a bag at the airport and can live out of my carry-on for almost a week.

Jesus sent The Twelve out to deal with evil spirits.  He told them to only take a staff, no bread, bag or money.  He told them to wear sandals but not an extra tunic.  When they enter a house, stay until they leave town.  If any place will not welcome and listen, then shake the dust off their feet when they leave as a testimony.  The Twelve preached repentance, drove out demons and anointed sick people with oil to heal them.

Jesus told The Twelve to travel without baggage and to not pick up baggage along the way.  I was convicted with the emotional baggage I sometimes collect when people don't welcome or listen to me.  Too often I am reluctant to follow Jesus' instructions because of past experience (my emotional baggage). 

These verses remind me that 
Jesus has the authority, not me.  
Jesus provides, not me.  
Jesus recognizes my success, not others.

These verses remind me to "shake off" past experiences (my emotional baggage) which  may cause me to avoid following Jesus' instructions and/or cause me to miss blessings.

Just yesterday morning I had the most pleasant surprise that had been waiting for me for over a year but "my baggage" kept  me from enjoying it.  I have resolved to finish quilt tops I've pieced yet not quilted and finished.  Piecing the back fabric is one of my least favorite steps in the process so I often procrastinate.  I had a quilt top I just love.  I had purchased backing fabric I just love for a great price, yet it stayed wrapped in the package because of my "baggage."

Acting on  my 2016 resolution I unwrapped the fabric and to my delight found the fabric did not need to be pieced.  I quietly cheered (it was 5 am and others in the house were still sleeping)! I could have enjoyed this quilt a year earlier if I'd "shaken off" my dread.

Today I am reminded that my baggage of past experiences can hinder my enjoyment of life as well as accomplishing the mission Jesus has set for me.  I am reminded to travel through life light and only carry what I really need.


No comments:

Post a Comment