Thursday, April 30, 2015

It's not about the rules


"This is too complicated.  I'm just not smart enough" I thought as I heard the doctrines and practices of another religion.  My memory is nearly 30 years old yet still vividly clear in my mind.  I was on  a mission trip in another land and touring a famous religious site.  I remember feeling sad at the futility of the practitioners' attempts to find peace with such a  complicated lifestyle.  I also felt relief that I knew that Jesus offered me simplicity and assurance.   

"Simple" came to my mind when I read Mark 1:4-8.  John had a simple message.  He preached forgiveness of sin.  People responded and were baptized.

John lived a simple life.  He had one type of clothing, camel's hair.  He had a simple diet of locusts and wild honey.

John offered a simple promise.  The Powerful was coming.  If they were impressed by the message of forgiveness, The One coming would bring the baptism of  the Holy Spirit.

I imagine life for the average Israelite must have been challenging.  They were a conquered people with the Romans making the laws and collecting the taxes.  Their religious leaders created a system of life full of rules to govern every action of daily life.  In such a rigid life with lots of rules and authorities, the promise of the Powerful must have been very exciting.

John kept life uncomplicated without lots of clothes and a lavish diet.  He knew he had a job for God so he did it.  He must have done it well because many people responded.  He was humble, obedient and authentic.

I have noticed that we live in a world that creates more and more rules.  Too many people think the world will be happier and safer with more and more laws.  With the evils present today, perhaps we do need more laws.

Today I wonder if all the rules make life so complicated that life feels futile.  So we carry over the rule -making into our spiritual life.  We construct doctrines, practices and structures so we think we are coming closer to perfection and God.  Deuteronomy may seem like a book of rules for the Israelites but it's really about love and choice.  God choose them, before they followed the rules, because He loved them.  The rules were about benefits, "so it would go well in the Promised Land."

Today I am reminded that the path to find God is simple, not complicated.  I acknowledge that I am a sinner and ask for forgiveness.  I know that I can only be forgiven because Jesus paid the price for my sins.  Then I need to turn away from the sin so it will go well for me.

God doesn't want me to beg for His affection.  He loved me from before there was me.  I have been chosen, not because I follow rules or beg, just because of His Love.  I make it complicated.  God makes it simple.  He provided The Way, Jesus.

If I want to draw closer to God, I need a clean heart and a simple life.  Then Life will be exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment