Thursday, February 19, 2015

My Playlist


"Two sets of three and a four card run."  A Mullin family song we all sing when playing a rummy game.  When we teach newcomers the game we include the song.  Most people listen and smile with a curious stare.  This card game has a different combination each hand.  We announce it before each hand yet my great aunt Margaret would often get confused and save whatever was the last hand.  She would become frustrated and accuse us of changing the rules.  We made up the little verse with a tune for this one hand.  For nearly fifty years our family has sung this little song as we play to remind us of  Aunt Margaret and the challenge of change.

Deuteronomy 31: 1-22 reminds me of the importance of listening and learning to cope with change.  Moses wrote down the law for the priests and elders and instructed them to gather the people every 7 years in the Year of cancelling debt during the Feast of Tabernacles and to read the law. 

I imagined this year of debt cancellation as a time to rejoice for all those who had debt removed but maybe it was a difficult time for the creditors.  Their income was adversely affected. At times of rejoicing and times of challenge these verses remind me to listen and learn the Word so I can carefully follow it.

God instructed Moses to teach the people the song that would help them in times of change and disaster.  God warned Moses that the people would fall away in the Promised Land.  They would prostitute themselves to the foreign gods and He would become angry and turn away from them.  After disaster and difficulty they would ask "did all this happen because God is not with us?" (DUH, yeah... God has already told them several times what would happen! Sorry I just wanted to "vent" a bit.)  "The Song" was to be a witness, a reminder, to them to prevent their falling.  God knew before they even got to the Promised Land that there would be benefits and challenges.  There would be dangerous temptations that would cause the Israelites to stray.

I have lots of little verses in my head.  Some from the world tell me to "protect my stuff" "go for the gusto" and "It's all about me."  Some from my family "in the span of eternity how important is this?" "that's fine for you" and "careful what you speak, you can't take it back."  Some I've learned from my life experience "It's my choice to laugh or cry."   "I'm not going there." "It will be OK."

What songs come from God and remind me to listen and learn and carefully follow?  "This is not my home."  "HE holds my right hand." "I will never leave or forsake you."  "God knows." I like to have a collection of songs ready to address my needs during change, disaster and challenge because, Duh, life happens! 

Often in the morning I wake up with a verse in my head.  I try to focus on the  phrases from worship songs but sometimes those TV commercial jingles come through.

I will start a section in my notebook, and call it "My Life Playlist" to record those "little songs" to have ready for Life. I will add new "songs" to My Life  Playlist as I study God's word and listen.

Today I, again, resolve to listen to the songs from God. Even though the world's songs may be louder,  God's songs are eternally beneficial.

No comments:

Post a Comment