Friday, April 11, 2014

I said NO to the coat!


 


I have always wanted a leather coat but never bought one or put it on my wish list.  Once I had the money in my hand.  I had decided I was going to buy a leather coat.  Then I read the tag with the feeding and care instructions.  Don't wear in the rain.  Buy a special lotion to treat on a regular basis.  Always hang up coat... etc.  Yikes my life was going to be controlled by a coat.  I ran from the store.

Deuteronomy 17:14-20 warns the Israelites of a future danger- the danger that blessings can lead their hearts away from God.  God knew that after they settled into the Promised Land, the Israelites would like a king just like the neighboring nations.  The king was to be an Israelite, not a foreigner.  The king was not to accumulate many horses, wives or silver and gold. The king was to write in his own hand a scroll of God's Law so he would have his personal copy to read daily.  If the king adhered to these guidelines he and his descendants would reign a long time.

These verses remind me that with blessings, there may come a threat to my spiritual life. 

Once we become comfortable in our new life, we want to fit in, instead of standing apart. We want what others have. 

I noticed the use of words like "a great number," "many" and "large"   God provides us with more than we need but we always want more or better.

As Queen of my days and stuff, I too often allow the responsibilities of caring for the details of my busy life to keep me from my personal daily study of God's word.  The Israelite kings were to write out their own copy even when they had a crowd of priests and Levites available.    I suspicion that too many of those kings made excuses of caring for and building their kingdoms for failing to keep the practice of personal daily study.

There is some danger in blessings. They might tempt me to go back to my old way of life ("Egypt") to deal with circumstances in my new life. They might tempt me to follow the world and to strive to be like everyone else. If I allow my "kingdom" of stuff, all blessings from God, to control my life, my heart will stray from the number one priority, my relationship with God.

To truly enjoy God's blessings in my life I will

* Avoid other influences, especially those foreign to a godly life and the pressure to conform to the world's ways. 

* Avoid excess.  I don't need more when God has given me more than I need.  He is very generous.

* Know and follow God's word by personal daily study of the Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment