Monday, April 7, 2014

Fairness


"It's not fair."  My election victory had just been nullified. In college I ran as a candidate for one of six seats on an administrative council.  I was in the top six highest vote counts.  So I made it!  Yet after the  results were announced an upper administration official sent word that the seats on the council were to be three men and three women.  My spot was taken away and given to the man with the next highest count.  None of the candidates nor the students voting knew of this requirement.  Yet we did not have the authority to change the decision.

Years later I realize that in the scope of eternity this "injustice" really didn't matter.  I survived and probably saved myself some time and effort in meetings. 

I recalled the memory when I thought about justice reading Deuteronomy 16: 18-20.  The Israelites were given instructions to appoint judges to  judge the people fairly.  The judges were not to accept bribes, as the bribes would influence their wisdom.  The Israelites were told to follow justice ALONE so it would go well with them in the new land.

I thought about fairness.  As much as I can, I strive to treat others fairly.  I'd like to think that I will follow justice ALONE. 

Yet, Life is not fair.  Sadly, one of my roles as a parent, was to teach that Life is not fair.  Children need to learn this lesson, not as a commentary on the world, but rather so they will be equipped to deal with the circumstances of life in this world.

Life is not fair and neither is Grace.  God is not fair when He administers His Grace.  If I am completely honest, I do not deserve His salvation nor any of His gifts in my life.  Yet He gives to me, and you, because of His Great Love.

So I may rant against life when it is not fair but instead I should rejoice that God's Grace is not fair. God has given me far more than I deserve.

Today I am reminded that:

*  Whenever I am the decision maker, I will strive to treat others fairly;

* God's Grace has been lavished on me,  especially when I did not earn or deserve it; and

* Jesus alone is just. I was reminded over the weekend that "Jesus alone is just."  As I approach the challenges in my life, I will trust that God will see that justice prevails. 

No comments:

Post a Comment