Monday, August 28, 2023

The Only Belt

 

Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth… [Eph 6:14a ESV]

 

It was not going well.  I was wrestling a large item through our fence gate so it would be on the curb for the waste collection service to pickup and dispose of.  For some reason, my shorts selected this activity to suddenly be too loose and threaten to fall down.

 

As I dragged the soon-to-be discarded item to the curb with one hand while the other held my shorts, I made a resolution: Find my one and only belt! It’s imitation black and white snakeskin.  My fashion sense told me it would be fine on my camouflage shorts as long as I kept it under my hot pink Tshirt. (It’s amazing what we find to be fashion acceptable when we’re lazy!)

 

I’m in the “fluffy” season of life where elastic waistbands direct all fashion decisions.  I really only own one belt as I can count on one hand the number of pants with loops in my closet.

 

I have pondered the whole armor of God we are instructed to “put on” in chapter six of Ephesians. I acknowledge a parallel.  Spiritually, I have only one belt. It’s God’s belt of truth.

 

The belt in the spiritual armor acted as a girdle.  To those of you unfamiliar with the history of women’s undergarments, the girdle was the foundation.  It gave shape and support.  It hid a multitude of dietary sins and was the anchor for stockings.  As a child I remember the TV commercials touting the advantages of modern designs for girdles.

 

Today it’s hard to find a girdle because we don’t see the value.  We are more enlightened and body shape is not so strictly defined.  Gone is the peer pressure to have specific measurements for our bodies.

 

Personally I do not miss the girdle, but I still believe I need my spiritual ”girdle” of truth.  To think about strapping on the belt of truth makes me feel empowered, a bit like a legendary action hero or maybe a champion of wrestling.

 

I am a follower of Jesus because His truth gives my world order.  I could not live with the everchanging truths of the world.  It feels like chaos to me.

 

God’s truth is the foundation of love, peace and eternity.

 

I did find my only belt and looped it through my shorts waistband.  Unfortunately, I didn’t cinch it tight enough as later in the day my shorts ended up at my ankles while heading down the basement steps.  I see the spiritual implication.  Don’t just put on your belt of truth but cinch it up to take full advantage of God’s truth’s strength and comfort.

 

The belt in medieval knight times held the sword in place.  The belt was worn on the outside so the sword would be handy.  Paul lists the sword of the Spirit in a following verse.  I’m going to think on that for a bit.  Stay tuned but in the meantime, cinch up your belt of truth and follow Jesus!


C uz

I

N eed

C hrist’s

H elp!

No comments:

Post a Comment