Monday, July 17, 2023

Warrior or Worrier



 “What is an object you depend on, that you think you couldn’t live without?”  I asked my small group.  The answers:  phone, microwave, glasses, car, dishwasher.

 

I wanted to discuss a single word and how it appears in our everyday life.  The word for the day was steadfastness.  I noticed it a couple of weeks ago in the book of James.

 

“for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.” [Jas 1:3 ESV]

“And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.” [Jas 1:4 ESV]

 

Other translations of the Bible use the word perseverance.  So, I asked my group “is there a difference between steadfastness and perseverance?

 

The Oxford dictionary defines steadfast as the quality of being resolutely or dutifully firm or unwavering.  Steadfast makes me think of standing firm in an already achieved position, like a warrior in occupation mode.

 

One of my Bible study partners had a long military career.  During a class discussion on obedience, he taught me that the troops in the military obey orders, not because of blind obedience, but rather they have been convinced of the mission.

 

Perseverance is doing something despite difficulty or delay in achieving success.

Perseverance is a bit “grittier”.  It infers action, pursuit and planning to succeed. (I picture the poster in my college dorm room of a kitten clinging to a branch by its claws with the caption “Hang in there”!)  Perseverance is a matter of the “head”, taking charge to overcome and endure, like a worrier who plots and schemes.

 

Later in James, (chapter 5, verse 8-11) it appears that steadfastness is a matter of the heart and Job is an example. (I added the bold emphasis.)

 

“You also, be patient. Establish your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is at hand. Do not grumble against one another, brothers, so that you may not be judged; behold, the Judge is standing at the door. As an example of suffering and patience, brothers, take the prophets who spoke in the name of the Lord. Behold, we consider those blessed who remained steadfast. You have heard of the steadfastness of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, how the Lord is compassionate and merciful. “

 

Job was a God-fearing man who lived through a season of tragedy after tragedy.  His wife and friends thought they were consoling him but if it was me, I would conclude, “Not helpful people… keep your opinions to yourselves.’

 

Job is a long book and one of the first books of the Bible I studied.  My high school English teacher assigned it as required reading of ancient poetry. (The rumor was she was an atheist, so it was definitely an analysis of the art not the theology.)

 

The discourse between God and Job in the latter chapters is fundamental in my experience of dealing with life’s happenings, challenges, and tragedies.  Maybe they give the key to steadfastness and surviving Life’s circumstances.  God asks Job if he had the authority or power to control nature and the Creation?  Did he understand all the nuances of Life?  Job responds with the realization that he has questioned what he does not understand, things too wonderful. He had heard about God’s might and authority but now through his experiences he sees God. Job has the choice to trust Almighty God in the midst of Life’s happenings or to make feeble human attempts at controlling Life’s happenings.

 

When I had cancer and faced 30 radiation treatments, I was in warrior mode.  I knew God was going to be with me.  He’d intervened so my cancer was detected early.  I knew He was the God of this situation.  I was to follow the plan and trust.

 

Jesus teaches us in the Sermon on the Mount that those who suffer will be blessed.  They will find God in their life challenges and realize the wonder of His character and authority.

 

On my spiritual journey which includes tragedies, challenges, and frustrations, I have learned that:

·      God loves me, even me, and wants the best for me;

·      God has a great plan for me;

·      God has control of Life, which appears to be chaos to me, but He has it under control; and

·      God will never leave me alone.  He is always with me.

 

This is the position God offers me.  My choice is to stand steadfast and trust the character of God.

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Such a blessing to know that He is in control and will always be with us no matter what we are going through. We just need to remain faithful and persevere. I love reading your blogs, Jan.

    ReplyDelete