Wednesday, September 18, 2019

It’s futility to chase worldly pursuits

“You have planted much, but harvested little. You eat, but never have enough. You drink, but never have your fill. You put on clothes, but are not warm. You earn wages, only to put them in a purse with holes in it.””
‭‭Haggai‬ ‭1:6‬ ‭NIV‬‬
https://www.bible.com/111/hag.1.6.niv

Enough procrastinating! I've been wrestling with this scripture for too long! The word enough has consumed my thoughts.

"Enough"  is a command I use often with my attention demanding pup.  When I believe she has received the required amount of petting, I'll say "enough". Usually she lays down and lets me be.
This dog thrives on
petting

Enough is too often a measurement of time, possessions, and self evaluation.  We never seem to have enough time to prepare for a task or spend with each other.  Too often we ignore the inner voice telling we've collected enough of the items of life.  How many times have I felt like I wasn't enough for a task or position?

 Haggai reminds me that worldly desires will never be fulfilling.  That which the world offers will never satisfy. The hole in my being that I try to allow the world to fill will never be filled because there is only One who can fill it.  This void in my heart is only satisfied by God.  God is enough!

A follow up command for my determined pup is "Move On."  When she is barking at that neighbor who walks by the fence every day at the exact same time, I remind her of the routine and tell her to "move on."  I've reminded of the true source that will be enough for me yesterday, today and tomorrow.  I'm ready to move onto Zechariah!

No comments:

Post a Comment