Thursday, May 11, 2017

Gracie

"I'm going to name her Ruthie" I told my husband as we drove to pick out a new puppy.  I thought I had picked her name but Ruthie was not her name. 

On the car ride home, I knew what her name would be.  I'd heard her story. She had been a member of a litter of pups dumped with her mother on a desolate farm road on a cold January night.  Two sisters lived in a nearby farm house and took in the new mother and pups.  They fed them, gave them shelter and their first vaccinations.  I saw the advertisement in the newspaper, "Free pups to good homes."   When we arrived, and chose our pup, one of the sisters gave me the information on the vaccinations, a bag of dog food and the assurance that if the pup didn't get along in our home to  please bring her back.

Her name was Gracie.   Gracie had been brought back twice because she didn't fit into a family.  That's when I knew her name was Gracie, not Ruthie.  She'd found grace several times.  Later I found out that the mother of the two sisters who rescued the pups was named Grace.

Her name and her story always reminds me of my faith journey with God and how He rescued and rescues me with His amazing grace.  Gracie lived up to her name, at least to me. God always takes me back when I try to fit into the world.

In Philemon 9b- 11, Paul introduces his reason for the letter to his friend Philemon.  He appeals to Philemon on behalf of Onesimus.  He begins by sharing that Onesimus had been useless but now was useful.  He had become a believer in Jesus while with Paul.  Paul was now his spiritual father and Onesimus was Paul's spiritual son.  Onesimus had served Paul while Paul was in prison.

Onesimus means useful, beneficial, and profitable.  Now he was useful in the ultimate way-useful to God and His mission. Bible commentator, Matthew Henry, said of Onesimus "Now he (Onesimus) will answer to his name."

The same Greek word for useful is found in 2 Timothy 4:11 referring to Mark's assistance in Paul's ministry. In 2 Timothy 2:21,  Paul compares the use of household articles which have noble purposes and ignoble purposes.  In the Living Bible, "If you stay away from sin you will be like one of these dishes made of purest gold--the very best in the house--so that Christ himself can use you for his highest purpose."

My name, Janice, means "God is gracious". (For real, I didn't make that up, just ask the internet!)  In 1953 when my mother choose my name, Janice was the 23rd most popular girl name.  In 2015, Janice is the 1238th most  popular name.  Obviously I have a vintage name and some days I feel like I live up to being vintage.

Today I am challenged by Onesimus, Matthew Henry and Gracie.  Will I answer to my name?  Will anyone know of God's grace as a result of my story or my ministry?

 Regardless of what our names mean, God has given us our true name, Loved, Chosen, Rescued and Useful.

2 Timothy 2: 15 "Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed...." NIV 
OR
"Work hard so God will say to you "Well Done...." Living Bible
OR

Be useful to God and hear God say "Well done, my child" - Jan's paraphrase.

No comments:

Post a Comment