Thursday, April 20, 2017

Dig into God's New World. It is a fantastic point of view!

"A whole new world, a fantastic point of view..."  In my mind I can still hear my young nieces' sing the theme song from the 1992 animated movie Aladdin.  They sang it in the family talent show, in the car, on the street and at MaMa's house.

I'm adopting this song as the theme song for my study of the book of Philemon.  A few weeks ago this tiny book was mentioned during the sermon  as having a message that would change the world.  The thought has since intrigued me.  Hence I begin my exploration of a whole new world.

Paul writes to his friends, Philemon, Apphia, Archippus, and their church.  He asks God to give them grace and peace.(Philemon 1-3.  Yes the book is so small there are no chapter numbers, just verse numbers.  Wonder how many blogs I can get out of 25 verses!)

These friends of Paul have faith in Jesus as their common denominator.  Following God and spreading His Good News is their whole world.  It's new to the earthly world.  It's a whole new world unlike what they have experienced, " fantastic point of view".

In this new world, where faith in Jesus is the driving force in life, we have a new set of relationships which might parallel earthly relationships or may be a newer, better experience.

Philemon was Paul's friend and fellow worker.  I reflected on my thirty plus years as an adult Sunday School class teacher.  I realized my effectiveness was due to my partner teachers.   God called Rodney, Lynn, Bruce and Mark to be my fellow workers and friends.  They were regular attenders, inviters, hosts and substitute teachers.  I loved my ministry so much more because they were with me in all aspects of our mission.  Grace and Peace to them for being faithful to God's call to encourage and support me and so many others.   In God's new world I have friends and companion workers wherever I am.

Apphia was Paul's sister.  Maybe she was his biological sister.  Just today I learned he had one.  Acts 23:16 tells it was Paul's sister's son who alerted Paul to a plot to kill him. I don't have a biological sister but have three dear sisters-in-law. Maybe Apphia was Paul's spiritual sister.  I have several spiritual sisters God brought into  my life.  Jeanne could read me like a book.  After being apart for years she knows when I need a phone call.  Chris and Susan taught me about commitment.  We celebrated each and every birthday together  in big ways.  Mary, Terry, Roxane and Beth have carried me through many adventures in life, all of which have a common theme: "How hard can this be?"  Grace and Peace to my sisters. In God's new world I have family wherever I am.

Archippus was Paul's fellow fighter.  Several times in my life I have been called to be one of the "change agents."  It's not a popularity winning ministry because most people do not like to change.  Yet to see God at work and to focus on God, not our comfortable ways and structures, change must happen.  Donna, Gloria, Eleanor, Maggie, Mae, Carol,   Virginia, Charlotte, Evon, Ruth and so many others labored with me in our work for God.  Grace and Peace to my co-laborers.  In God's new world I have colleagues in God's work wherever I am.

Finally, Paul greets the church.  We have lived and served in several churches across the country.  Countless people have prayed for us, given to us and been with us through thick and thin.  Grace and Peace to those in the churches of Coalinga, El Dorado, Marshalltown, Blackfoot, Jefferson, and Clearfield.  In God's new world I am never alone. 

In Christ, I have a whole new world of friends, family, partners and community.  I am never alone.  I belong. I will succeed.  The common denominator is God.  It's a whole new world in God's world.

Today take time to thank God for your friends, family, partners and community.  They are the proof that you are never alone, you belong and you will succeed.  Send them His Grace and Peace.






No comments:

Post a Comment