Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Not the ears!

"Thanks Mickey, but not the ears!"  Mickey, my male dog, likes to get intimate when he expresses his joy.  If I'm sitting down he will go for my ears and try to give them a thorough cleaning.   He's being affectionate but, really Mickey, I am able to keep my own ears clean!

In Chapter 7 verses 31-39 Mark describes an encounter between Jesus and a deaf man who could hardly talk.  Jesus left Tyre to go through Sidon down to the Sea of Galilee and into the Decapolis region.  Some people brought this man and begged Jesus to place His hands on Him.

Jesus took the man aside, away from the crowd.  He put His fingers in the man's ears.  Then He spit and touched the man's tongue.  He looked up to Heaven and with a deep sigh said "Be Opened!"  At  that moment the man's ears were opened, his tongue loosened and he spoke plainly.

 Again, Jesus commanded them not to tell anyone but the more He told them not to, the  more they talked.  People were overwhelmed with amazement.  They said "He's done it all and done it well."
I am intrigued by Jesus putting his fingers in the man's ears and touching his tongue.  How strange and personal  Jesus made this encounter.  I know He had the power and the authority to heal without touching the man.  I think He touched this man in such a physical way to make a spiritual point.

We each have a personal Savior.  Jesus will take us aside, away from the crowd, and meet our specific needs.  It may feel awkward because I'm not practiced with such intimacy but these verses remind me of the benefits for me.

If I learn to enjoy this intimacy with Jesus, I will be overwhelmed with amazement.  I value my privacy, possibly too highly.  Jesus offers me overwhelming amazement when I deepen my relationship with Him.  He knows everything in me so why be shy?  I have the opportunity to be amazed at Who He is and How He Loves me! 

I'm already amazed that I have this opportunity with such a relationship with the One who has done it all and done it well.  "Done it all and done it well" is quoted from The Message.  I can't think of anyone else I'd want to depend on more than the One who has done it all and done it well!  Who else could top that?

Jesus took a long trip, maybe just to meet this one man.  Jesus paved the way to an intimate personal relationship with me, and you.  Sin separates us from Him.  So He gave His life for my sins and your sins.

Will I say yes to Jesus' invitation to come aside with Him and let Him meet my specific needs?

Will you?

Will others be amazed at His work in my life?

Or in your life?

Will I bring others to Jesus and beg them to accept His offer for such an intimate relationship?

Will you?

Perhaps I should adopt Jesus' words, "Be Opened", for my life today:

 "Be Opened" to the intimate relationship with Jesus. 

"Be Opened" to be overwhelmingly amazed! 

"Be Opened" to the One who has done it all and done it well!


(Today I'd like to express my joy in Jesus with others but stop short of cleaning their ears!)

No comments:

Post a Comment