Tuesday, August 4, 2015

13 years and counting

August 5, 2002 was a day in my life where worlds collided.  I heard those dreaded words-  the test was positive.  It was The Big "C" as my mom called it, cancer.  My old world of my invincibility collided with my new world of living as a survivor.  It was a whole new world for me.  I have  learned a lot about the importance of living each and every day.  I have learned to use faith in God to manage my fear.

I think Jesus was trying to tell some people that a "new world" was beginning and you can't live with the old rules in the new world.  In Mark 2: 18-22, some people asked Jesus why His disciples were not fasting like John's disciples and the Pharisees.  Jesus' answer was they couldn't fast while the Bridegroom was present.  He followed up with two more illustrations of sewing a new patch of fabric on an old garment and putting new wine in an old wineskin.

I almost understand the fabric reference.  I'm a quilter and it's a cardinal rule, don't mix washed and unwashed fabrics because they won't shrink the same when laundered.  But I have little experience with wineskins and fasting apart from bridegrooms.

I think Jesus is telling them that He has brought them a new world and they can't live by their old rules.  If they try to continue to live the old way in the changed world, they will fail.  The patches will not mend the tears and the wineskins will no longer hold the wine.

Today these verses remind me of The Big Picture.  What Jesus has done in my life today will bring me to a whole new, eternal world.  Why would I try to change His gift of the new world by trying to change it back to the old way of life.

After August 5, 2002, I have learned to trust that no matter the circumstance or challenge I am not alone.  He is with me, always.  More often I stop living the old way and just enjoy the moments as presented. Like breathing deep and smiling at any and all sunsets. Like just touching my granddaughter's hand. Like starting my day enjoying what I want, a few moments with The One who gave me the new day, a cup of coffee and a bit of knitting before I enter the old world.  Like remembering Who is always with me.

On August 5, 2002, God brought my old world of busyness and stress into a collision with His offer of a new world.  I have the choice to live with the worry of what if...  or I can choose to trust His deliverance and love.  He miraculously saved me with a routine mammogram and He'll do it again.  The collision of these two worlds has put perspective in my life.  My mother would ask me in those teenage angst moments, "In the span of eternity, just how important is this?"  Now I understand, focus on the Big   Picture, what really matters, the truly important, the eternal.

My new world presents me with circumstances and challenges.  I have the choice between trusting in the world's answers, which are not eternally satisfying, OR enjoying the party with the Bridegroom.  More often these days, I choose "Party On".

Enjoy today, just today.  Deal with tomorrow when it's tomorrow.  Thanks be to God for His Indescribable gifts!


No comments:

Post a Comment