Tuesday, July 8, 2014

A Fashion Statement


I wear yellow post it notes.  I know.  They were created to be worn by file folders, envelopes, letters, boxes and refrigerators but I'm a bit like Uncle Billy in the movie "It's a Wonderful Life".  He tied string to his fingers to remind him.  I work in a world without string!  If I'm told to do something on the third floor I worry that I'll forgot when I return to my second floor office.  I like the fact that I actually have words written down so I don't have to have a string to remember what a string meant.

I have also used my bathroom mirror to tack up notes to remind me how to handle the day.  They are bits of scriptures, sermons or words I've heard from the Spirit that remind me of my purpose and position.

When I read Deuteronomy 21:22-23, I felt like these verses were a "post it note" from God to the Israelites.  The verses tell them not to keep the dead body of an executed criminal hanging overnight. They were reminded to bury it  the same day because the cursed body would desecrate God's gift of the Promised Land.

Today's television schedule is full of crime dramas. Too many are too full of gory and shocking details. The newspapers include more and more of the disgusting details  of violent crimes.  Our society has a lust for bad news and its gory details.

Today's verses remind me not to dwell on the details of the crime and the sin.  The verses remind me to dwell on God, dwell on His Honor as the Author and Source of  justice and that my honor belongs to Him, not the sin, other's sin or mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment